George Washington Hingerty- a very American name

 


Having previously researched the Hingertys of Australia and England, I have moved on to the USA- all new geography and history for me to learn!

As I was tracing back the family tree looking for the first Hingerty arrival in the USA, I was interested to find that Alfred Hingerty (1804-1875) a navy boatswain and his second wife Ellen (Nellie) Wright (1827- 1871) of Portsmouth Virginia called their first child Martha Washington Hingerty in 1859 and their fifth child George Washington Hingerty in 1867.

Was there a connection between the Hingerty family and the Washington family?

Or were Alfred and Nellie just being patriotic when they named their children after national heroes who had died about 60 years before these children were born?

As regards the first Hingerty arrival in the USA, my initial research indicates that Alfred's parents were William Hingerty and Rachel Kiteley.  Who were William's parents?

If you are related to the Hingertys of Virginia and can fill me in on the Washington connection or the earliest Hingerty arrival in the USA- 

 leave a Comment or send me an Email 

hingerty@one-name.org

I look forward to hearing from you.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hingerty YDNA Project- January 2023 report

Is this the Hingerty Homeland?